My Video Playlist – Abhijit Pohankar
A well-known Indian classical keyboardist, music producer and vocalist based in Mumbai, India, Abhijit Pohankar shares his top tracks which have inspired him and his music.
1) What is the concert/recording/track you listen to the most? And why?
There are several! Difficult to point out one, but as a concert recording I listen to a Live concert by Pandit Shivkumar Sharma & Ustad Zakir Hussain called WHEN TIME STOOD STILL, where he has played Raga Kaunsi kanada. The other live concert recording which I hear is of Ghulam Ali ji Ghazlas called LIVE IN INDIA. As a recording or track I listen to Micheal Jacksons ‘Thriller’ ,Asha Bhonsle’s Ghazal ‘Karu na yaad magar’ and also Jagjit Singh’s studio recordings.
2) Which artists do you watch for inspiration? What do you like about those tracks / artists / concerts?
I have many artists as my inspirations, my father Pandit Ajay Pohankar’s ‘PIYA BAWARI’ & ‘PAYALIYA JHANKAR’ are my favourite tracks which are available both on itunes, spotify & also Youtube. Mehdi Hassan, Ghulam Ali, Lata Mangeshkar, Asha Bhosle, Kishor Kumar, Mohammed Rafi, Ustad Amir Khan, Ustad Bade Ghulam Ali Khan, Smt Kishori Amonkar, Micheal Jackson, Bee Gees, George Micheal and Yanni are all my favourite artists. I listen to ‘YANNI LIVE AT THE ACROPOLIS’ as a Video concert. I love George Micheal’s Careless whisper as my most favourite track and also Ustad Vilayat Khan sahab’s Raga Yaman. Kishori Amonkarji’s several live recordings, and the track close to my heart is from HARIHARAN & my father Pt Ajay Pohankar’s collaboration which I produced..TU HIRE & HARI RE..available on YouTube!
3) Can you recommend a Carnatic music track that inspires you the most?
I like maestro U Srinivasji’s albums & also Dr L Subramaniam.
4) Can you share any concerts of Film composers, or an album, or a classical artists concert which you like?
Film composers which I like are Shankar Jaikishen, Op Nayyar, RD Burman, Madan Mohan, Hridaynath Mangeshkar, Bappi Lahiri, Anu Malik, Jatin Lalit, AR Rahman & Vishal Shekhar.
5) Tell us about another vocalist or film composer from outside the Indian genre that you like?
Lionel Richie as a singer & Quincy jones as producer/composer. John Williams & Jerry Goldsmith as Film composers from Hollywood.
6) Can you share a video which demonstrates a great interaction between two artists on stage, something that inspires you?
Yanni’s Live at Acropolis has a album has a track called WITHIN ATTRACTION where the amazing violinist Karen Briggs and one male violinist jam together. That’s the best track I have ever seen & heard where they demonstrate great interaction.
7) Recommend a great vocal music concert or recording
Aabshar e ghazal by Asha Bhosle & Kishori Amonkar’s Raga Bhoop & Bageshree long playing record
8) Can you share some videos of your guru and contemporaries?
I have two Guru’s – one is my father Pandit Ajay Pohankar where he sang a ghazal with contemporary instrumentation & my other guru Pt Shivkumar Sharma’s Raga Kaunsi kanada he played at Sawai Gandharva festival.
9) How about a track from a fellow musician in England?
I like Talvin Singh’s work. We both have worked together too in a filmtrack called ‘Boom’ – I worked on the title track of that film with him.